30.5.10

I Just Flew In From Louisiana...

And boy is my ass raw. This was one of the all-time worse TDY's I've been on. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.


  • 1. Hot as Hell...literally. Coming from the Evergreen State to the Deep Souf, It took the entire 25 days to acclimate.
  • 2. No Booze. What good is being away from the wife and kids if I can't at least ATTEMPT to pickle myself from the inside. Chuck no function beer well without.
  • 3. My two least favorite words: Open Bays. For the uninitiated open bays means your sharing a room with multiple other DUDES. Meaning no wrestling the one eyed champ. Meaning smelling like dudes and hard work. Meaning people sleeping with the lights off all gawdamn day. You ever find yourself in a situation where at any given moment, looking in any given direction, you will see any given dudes junk? I call that the Cincinnati Squeeze Play.
  • 4. The actual "Job" part of the TDY was some B.S. Working with the Army was great, I made a lot of new acquaintances, and got a lot of kudos from them. The Air Force guys that were evaluating us made no bones about how irredeemably terrible they thought we were and sabotaged us at every turn. Thanks for that. In that heat with no booze, and working 12+ hours a day with NO time off, the last thing you wanna hear is some {tounge-bitten} telling you that you aren't doing a good job.


That's the stuff that sucked, but being the silver-lining kind of guy that I am, I have to mention the positives. I got put on to "My Name Is Earl", which by the way is hilarious. Also as stated above, I met a lot of people (+5 Facebook Friends) Mission Accomplished. Sweet Tea flows in abundance in the State of Louisiana, mmm, mmm. And I made it back safe. Hoo-Rah.

The moral of this story is, Louisiana sucks without alcohol, and if the only thing you have to look forward to is creamed beef every few days, it's OK to cry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment